Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The developers responsibility

What is our responsibility as developers?

1. Build the best solution
2. Maintain visibility
3. Uncompromising ethics
4. Continuous learning and sharing

We are an engineering discipline, but at an early stage, there is much to discover, too much reinvention, vast (differing) opinions of best practices, poor adoption of quality, little understanding of our art by outsiders and too much competition and stubbornness within the community.

While, I write passionately, I have an ethical dilemma of building the best solution, while experimenting with new technology and keeping my stakeholders aware of my risk taking. How do we justify using unknown technologies to solve problems that have known solutions? How do we share our experiences with our competitors in a way that is valuable to the community? Is it possible to fulfill all my responsibilities? I think so. We're making progress, but we have a long way to go.

Thanks for the inspiration!

No comments: